Saturday, August 30, 2008

SUMMER SALSA

Lately my inspiration has come from various fruity flavors. We recently had an abundance of smooth creamy sharwil avocados, and I began running out of ideas to use them. Who would know that I'd get tired of eating guacamole every day, or putting beautiful thick slices into sandwiches and salads? But I did. So I created a fresh corn relish to serve in a halved avocado, and called them avocado boats. The kids loved them! And I even shared some boats with the neighbors who gave me the avocados, as I am sure they were tired of guacamole too. :)

1 cup corn (frozen kernels, gently reheated and cooled) or kernels from 2-3 medium sized fresh cobs
1/4 c. chopped red onion
1/2 red or yellow sweet bell pepper
Fresh chopped cilantro
Salt & pepper

Vinegarette:
1/4 c. balsamic or other flavored vinegar
2 T. honey
1/2 c. olive oil slowly drizzled into liquid
Salt & pepper to taste

Mix first relish ingredients together. Slowly add vinegarette. Re-season to taste. Spoon mixture into avocado boats. Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves and serve as a cool side dish. Bon appetit!

No comments: